I love Gilmore Girls. If I could only watch one television show for the rest of my life, I wouldn't hesitate to choose Gilmore Girls, that's how much it means to me. Aside from the main reasons I love it, like the quirky loveable characters and the mother-daughter relationship that reminds me so much of my own relationship with my mum, one of the things I love most about it is the witty dialogue. There is no other show I've seen before with a script so fast-paced and cheeky as Gilmore Girls. Something that really adds to the script is the massive amount of pop culture references made by the characters - particularly Lorelai. A lot of the references they make are about tv shows, movies, and books that I know and love - which makes me relate that much more to the characters! Today, I thought I'd do a fun little post where I share with all of you my favourite pop culture references in Gilmore Girls, from both the original series and the revival!
1. Season 3, Episode 8 - Reference to George Michael's 1998 scandal
EMILY: What can we do in a bathroom?
LORELAI: Meet George Michael.
2. Season 5, Episode 13 - Reference to J.Lo's dating history
LORELAI: Mom, it's just a pretend wedding. J.Lo has them all the time.
3. Season 1, Episode 5 - Reference to Angelina dating Billy Bob
LORELAI: You can't always control who you're attracted to, you know? I think the whole 'Angelina Jolie, Billy Bob Thornton' thing really proves that.
4. Revival, Winter - Reference to the pilot episode of 'Twin Peaks'
RORY: That's my piece. Wrapped in plastic.
5. Season 5, Episode 13 - Reference to Uma Thurman in 'Pulp Fiction'
LORELAI: We're doing the one from Pulp Fiction. Do you want to be Uma, or should I?
6. Season 4, Episode 2 - Reference to Samuel Beckett's 'Waiting for Godot'
LUKE: We've been here before.
LORELAI: I recognize that tree.
7. Season 4, Episode 22 - Reference to the 1988 film 'Heathers'
RORY: What's your damage, Heather?
8. Season 1, Episode 1 - Reference to the 1961 movie-musical 'West Side Story'
LORELAI: Look, Officer Krupke, she's right over there.
9. Revival, Fall - Reference to Kiefer Sutherland
LORELAI: He knows Kiefer Sutherland!
RORY: The real one?
LUKE: There's only one.
RORY: 'I'm agent Jack Bauer. This is the longest day of my life. My wife and mistress have the same face and haircut.' That one?
LORELAI: Yes! 'Dammit!'.
10. Revival, Winter - Reference to Ben Affleck's portrayal of Batman
LORELAI: There's a debate about taking the phone booth out.
RORY: Where would Superman change when he comes to save our town from Ben Affleck?
I hope you enjoyed this fun, different sort of post today! What are your favourite Gilmore Girls references/jokes? I'd love to hear 'em! Let me know in the comments :)